Monday, November 5, 2007

Random Japanese Snacks Review



While I was in Asian Groceries yesterday, my eyes spotted this little Japanese snack that was on sale. I decided to try it out since they looked so cute and adorable, and was on sale. I think this little snacks were meant to be little 'bamboo shoots'. They are actually just little pieces of biscuits coated with milk chocolates, resembling the shape of a bamboo shoot. I am still not sure how chocolates and bamboo shoots are related though. Maybe those who can read Japanese out there can help me :)



Anyway, I opened the cute little paper box, and the little snacks were carefully wrapped in a bag. I've always respected Japanese packaging, as they are always really neat, and most of the time, creative.

After I reached my hand inside the little bag, I immediately knew why these little bamboo shoots were on sale! I've seen these type of snacks' reviews on other blogs before, and the chocolate coating is usually smooth and shining. The ones I had were slightly melted, so the patterns on the them weren't as clear as they should have been. You can also see small little biscuit crumbs stuck on the chocolate itself. This probably wouldn't happen if the snacks weren't on sale. I suspect that they were probably on sale because of some mishandling during storage, maybe they were left out in the sun too long. That's just my speculation.



Despite the slightly melted appearance, these snacks still tasted pretty good. I wouldn't say they are fantastic, but they are definitely addictive! I still prefer my Aussie 'Teevees' though.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohh, so cute!! I think they're in the shape of bamboo shoots just for the heck of it... maybe? ^^", no clue.......
What are 'Teevees'? Sounds like 'TV's' ^^!

-TingTing

Hungry Hamster said...

Haha, yeah. I think they come in Mushroom shapes too!

Teevees is this Australian snack (I think). It's one of those arnotts biscuits, which is also a biscuit coated in malt chocolate. It's good! I think they are available in Safeway and Coles!

Anonymous said...

Coles? As in the bookstore? Haha, I live in Canada, so I don't have a lot of the cool stores that you guys have!! T^T.

Hungry Hamster said...

Oh, oops! That's embarrassing! All this time I thought you were in Melbourne. Hehe, sorry about that! Which part of Canada are you in?

Anonymous said...

Hehe, I'm from Toronto ^^V. But I plan on living in Hong Kong when I finish university... get a job there... haha, that's far away so I'll be here in Toronto for quite some time longer! Where's Melbourne? I'm pretty sure it's in the US... but that's all I know about it! ^^".

-TingTing

Hungry Hamster said...

Hey Ting Ting. I'm in Melbourne, Australia! Are you in University of Toronto?