Friday, October 19, 2007

Mamon Cake With Homemade Blueberry Sauce



I was craving for some cake yesterday when I was blog surfing and my eyes came across Mamon cake in one of the Thai blog. I think Mamon cake is suppose to be a traditional Filipino sponge cake. The texture of the cake from the blog looks so light and fluffy, it reminds me of the Chiffon cake I love! I therefore decided to try it out, and as I'd expected, the cake turned out just the way I like it! The texture is moist and springy, great on its own! Since it was so light, I can actually eat it 'guilt-free', convincing myself that it's not at all fattening :p

I decided to spice things up a bit and added my homemade blueberry sauce, which was meant for my blueberry Cheesecake. The sponge cake absorbs the juiciness of the blueberry sauce very well. I will definitely make the Mamon cake again!



*edited*
This is for Steph:

Mamon Cake recipe by Khun Tri.

6 egg yolks
6 egg whites
1 cup cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/3 cup sugar (1)
1/2 cup sugar (2)
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp cream of tar tar

*This was actually adapted by the owner by using the 'chiffon cake' method, instead of 'sponge cake' method, as she claims it works better.

Preheat the oven at 190 degrees Celsius or 170 fan forced. Beat the egg whites with cream of tar tar and sugar(1) until stiff peaks formed. In another bowl, beat egg yolks, sugar(2), and salt until the batter is creamy and thick. Carefully fold in flour and baking powder until well mixed, then add the vanilla.

Carefully fold in the egg yolk mixture into the egg white mixture (I did it the other way around) until well mixed. Be gentle, or else you'll deflate the egg whites. Add in butter, and fold until blended. Pour into 2 eight inch round cake tins that are lined with paper at the bottom. Bake until golden and the cake surface springs back when gently pressed. Remove the cake from the oven and cool in the tin.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Hungry Hamster!!
I'm sorry I haven't commented for so long... I've missed you and your blogging though! My school is literally trying to drown us in homework... SIGH. Anywaysss, on to more pressing issues! Your cake looks absolutely GORGEOUS. And your blueberry jam (is it jam?) looks more authentic then the 'premium' stuff that I get from Food Basics :)! And yes, it does look "guilt-free"... mwahahahhaaa! Guess who'll be making a few rounds of those this weekend?
-TingTing

Hungry Hamster said...

Haha, thank you Ting Ting. I was starting to wonder where you were :p

Actually, the reason I tried to make my own Blueberry sauce (the ones that goes with blueberry cheesecake) is because I couldn't find it in the supermarket here. I know they have it in the US. I think the brand is called Wilderness or something.

Anyway, I'm glad I tried to make it on my own. The result was better than I'd expected :)

You should try some too! I used frozen blueberries, with water, sugar, and lemon juice. Bring it all to a boil, and adjust it to your taste. Then just thicken it with some cornflour diluted in water :)