Thursday, November 8, 2007

Chocolate Chiffon Cake with Soft Fudge Topping



I made this cake on Tuesday night for my friend's birthday surprise. I've actually posted it on this blog before, but today I decided to make some pattern on top of the cake, instead of just pouring the fudge topping on the cake itself.

I've made chocolate chiffon cake several times, and this time, it turned out really well. There was no crack on the surface of the cake at all.


This is what I call my perfect Chiffon cake!


The bottom of the cake. Smooth and crease-free! Yay!

Normally chiffon cake are meant to be baked in a tube pan, but since it was for a birthday cake, I made it in a normal 8 inch round cake pan.

I love the texture of chiffon cake! It's light and moist, and since it uses canola oil instead of butter, it stays soft in the fridge!



Chocolate Chiffon Cake Recipe Adapted from Chef Umim's Recipe.

Mixture 1)
80 g cake flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
25 g cocoa powder
90 g caster sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar

Mixture 2)
50g water
25g evaporated milk
65g vegetable oil
2 egg yolks

Mixture 3)
2 egg whites
45 g caster sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar

Preheat the oven at 180 degree Celsius.

Sift mixture 1) together in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, mix mixture 2) together, then slowly pour into mixture 1) and mix together until just blended. Be careful not to overmixed, as this will make the cake tough.
Mixture 3): Beat the egg whites in a separate clean bowl with cream of tartar until foamy. Slowly add the caster sugar and beat until soft peaks form.

Gently fold Mixture 3) into the egg yolk batter. Be careful not to deflate the egg whites. Pour it into an 8 inch round mould and baked for 20-25 min or until the cake springs back when the surface is gently pressed. Remove from the oven, and knock on the table lightly to stabilize the cake structure.

Soft Fudge Topping

Mixture A)
1/2 tsp agar agar powder
150g water
100g evaporated milk
100g sugar
25g cocoa powder

Mixture B)
20g corn flour
75g evaporated milk

Mixture C)
75 g butter

Mix Mixture A) together and heat until well mixed and all the sugar has melted and the mixtures starts to simmer. Add in Mixture B) and reduce the heat. Make sure that the cornflour and the evaporated milk are well mixed before adding to mixture A) to avoid getting lumps in the fudge. Keep stirring until the mixture thickens, then add butter. After all the butter are melted, turn off the heat and keep stirring until the mixture cools down a little.

Slice the chiffon cake into two layers and sandwiched the cake with the soft fudge topping. Pour the remaining topping on top of the cake and refrigerate until the topping sets. It is important to keep stirring the topping mixture before you pour it on the cake or else the topping will not be smooth.

Alternatively, you can let the topping cool and pipe it onto the cake instead.

10 comments:

Bean Sprout's Cafe said...

Your chiffon look so perfect !

I think i made this cake 3 times..the taste were quite good (coz good recipe hehe)...but last time..i forgot to put sugar into chiffon so only fudge is sweet...hahaha+++

Hungry Hamster said...

Haha, at least it's 'healthier' :p

I love this recipe too!! I've never actually had 'Kalaprapruek's ' cake before, so I don't know what it taste like compared to the 'real' thing :)

Vida said...

This looks delicious HH, I like the idea of the topping, never seen this recipe before... Vida x

Hungry Hamster said...

Hey Vida! I think it's very different from most of the cakes that are served in the cafes here in Melbourne. The cakes here are more dense and filling. This one is light and moist, but also satisfy your chocolate cravings at the same time!

Vida said...

Are you coming to Vegout on Monday?? Vida x

Hungry Hamster said...

What's Vegout? Hmm..what did I miss?

Anonymous said...

o_o!!

-TingTing

Denise ^ ChickyEGG said...

helo
I like ur cake
I made this today
Do u have any idea why my cake didnt really rise full?
i found the bottom part a bit 'un-rise"! haha!
but overall the cake is really softttt & moist!
see my blog! haha

TQ

Hungry Hamster said...

Hey Denise! Thanks!
Did you bake the cake long enough? I think the baking time varies with each oven, I usually use it as a guide. To test whether chiffon cakes are cooked, pressed the surface gently, and if they spring back without leaving a dent, they are cook. But if you can still feel squishy texture, then it's not cooked yet.

The batter itself should be quite thick too. When you pour it into the mould, you would be able to see the batter folding on top of each other. Hmm..I think my explanation is a bit confusing, hope you understand. If the batter is very liquid, then you may have deflated the egg whites. Good luck with your next try! I'm sure it'll come out perfect!

Denise ^ ChickyEGG said...

Hamster:
okay! noted on the 2 important tips!
tell u what happen on my next try
;D
Denise