Monday, July 2, 2007

Not so satisfying Taiwanese Food

I'm still in Bangkok and will be here for the next 2 weeks. My dad recently read a Taiwanese restaurant advertisement on the newspaper, so we decided to try it out. The restaurant is situated near the Emerald hotel on Ratchadapisek Rd. We were the very first customers to arrive, and were lead upstairs by the waitresses. When we looked at the menu, none of the dishes really stand out, so we decided to take the waitress's recommendations.


Our first dish was the "Three flavors Chicken"
I couldn't really differentiate between the 'three' flavors..and could only taste the pepper inside the dish. I was also quite unlucky as the pieces of chicken I picked out consisted of mostly bones.


The next dish was Fried Oyster.
This dish is actually not bad and tasted very different from its Thai cousin. The accompanying sauce was pretty good, but the tapioca starch was way too thick.


The steamed prawns are quite ordinary, but it was probably their best dish as they were really fresh!


Stir fried Spinach with Garlic.
This was pretty mediocre as it was a less oily version. Healthy things are usually less tasty.


I think these are steamed Balmian Bugs with garlic and soy sauce


Tofu and Seafood in a Clay pot.
This was not bad, but maybe more soy sauce might help.

So far the dishes were all edible so we decided to order another dish. Another waitress recommended that we ordered a Fish-head Hot pot and so we did.


It was a decision we all regretted! The soup tasted really funny and has a very fishy taste, so no one in my family really touched the dish.

After leaving the restaurant with an unsatisfied stomach, we decided we needed something sweet to cheer ourselves up/do our taste buds some justice! My friend told me about this cake shop called Coffee Bean By Dao and raved about how irresistible their coconut cake was, so we decided to check it out. I decided to buy 3 cakes and enjoy it at home with our own homemade cappuccino.



The cakes there were 'home-made' looking type, instead of the French type like "Lenotre". The bakery shop/restaurant was really packed with people, and it was quite hard for me to actually observe the cakes on display.


Our first cake was the Coconut cake my friend told me about.
It was really fragile. I agreed with my friend that this cake is good, it's probably the best one out of the three I bought as it wasn't overly sweet. The whipped cream and shredded fresh coconut pieces complement the sponge cake very well.


Blackforest Cake. This was my sister's choice. I thought it was pretty ordinary, though my sis liked it.


The last piece is Macadamia Cheesecake. This was a limited edition and was recommended by the waitress. It was better than I'd expected! The texture of the cheesecake was smooth and creamy and it really brings out taste of the Macadamia nuts.

To be honest, I was a bit disappointed by the cake's appearance at first, but it tasted better than it looks. The cakes were pretty good, but I think they are quite overpriced for their size and standard. They are more or equally expensive compared to the hotel ones. I think that if their portion size is slightly bigger or if the decorations were improved, a lot more people will be hooked!

No comments: