Monday, August 13, 2007

Dark Chocolate Chunk Muffins



This recipe was adapted from Donna Hay's 'simple essentials: chocolate' cook book. It was originally made with milk chocolate chunk, but since I prefer dark chocolates, dark it is! This is probably one of my favorite chocolate cook book as her results always turned out satisfying.



Dark Chocolate Chunk Muffins
300 g self raising flour, sifted
40 g cocoa powder, sifted
1 tsp baking powder
220 g caster sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
160 ml vegetable oil (I prefer Canola)
125 ml milk
1 cup chopped dark chocolate

Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Place flour, cocoa, baking powder and sugar into a bowl and mix to combine. In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, vanilla, oil and milk and whisk together. Stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture until just combined. Fold in the chocolate and spoon the mixture into 12 x 1/2 cup capacity muffin tins lined with paper patty cases. Bake for 20-25 min or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Makes 12

6 comments:

Cheesywee said...

amazing... so pretty!
and the huge chocolate chunks . . . just make me want to reach out and grab it!! too bad i'm living in a temp apmnt . . .then I would make more things out of scratch
I must try this recipe some time and maybe add a little bit of white chocolate for my whitechocolate-lover friends :)

Anonymous said...

I'm trying out your recipe and right now its in the oven. And it was a bit dry so i added some water. The muffins also don't look like yours. The top bit has risen evenly.

Hungry Hamster said...

Hey Anonymous,

First of all, thanks for reading my blog! I'm very flattered that someone actually tried out the recipe I posted on the page.

The batter was meant to be very thick. I 'think' that the even-top of the muffins may result from a few reasons. First of all, the batter may become very tough if you overmix the muffin batter and this may result in a flat top. The temperature of the oven may also be another reason. I think that high temperature causes the batter to rise into a domed shape. Different ovens may have different temperature, so it's better to use an oven thermometer.
I think the level of the shelve you put your muffin in also affects the shape.

Anyway, I hope that helps! Good luck :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your help. It turned out great anyways. My friend loved it. He was amazed and even wanted to try it out himself.

Anonymous said...

Lovely chocolate muffins. I wanna eat it off the my screen. lol

I'm also a fan of Donna Hay. Haven't bought any of her books yet but her magazines.

I see that you're a hamster lover too? So am I. =)

Hungry Hamster said...

Thanks Didally ;) Nice to meet you!