Saturday, November 3, 2007

Refreshing Lemon Cake



I wanted to use up my left over lemons from the lemon swiss roll, so I decided to try out this lemon cake. It's actually adapted from an Orange Cake recipe I read about from a Thai Blog.
It's basically just two sponge cakes sandwiched together with this lemon jam. The lemon jam was made with lemon juice, lemon zest, some sugar to tone down the tartness of the lemon, and thickened with some cornflour. It worked out pretty well! I eliminated the butter that was in the original recipe as I prefer a more tangy and refreshing taste.

This cake is a lot lighter, and tasted less 'artery-clogging' compared to my previous mousse cake, but the mousse cake was definitely worth the risk :p

3 comments:

Cindy said...

So pretty, Hamster! I love tangy lemons in my desserts, too - I'm sure this must have been delicously light.

Anonymous said...

So pretty! It looks delectable ^^!
So guess what. Your lemon-y rolls got me cravvvving for something lemon-y. So I decided to make these lemon crips that I saw in a magazine the other day. It called for two small lemons. Me, not knowing how small 'small lemons' were, just go two lemons. I figured I would like the extra tang if there came to be one. Result? They were even more sour than my raspberries. Which were pretty sour. TT^TT. Sigh. Well, mustn't give up just yet!
-TingTing

Hungry Hamster said...

Cindy: Thanks! They were! I didn't feel as guilty eating them :p

Tingting: Thank you! I'm so happy that my posts actually get people craving for things :)

I'm sure will be successful soon! Don't give up! It's all about experimenting! I remembered my first lemon meringue pie that I made when I was around 13 or 14, turned out to be a horrible mess. They looked quite disturbing actually! :p

Show me your results when they are successful ok :)