Monday, October 22, 2007

Brown Sugar Almond Biscotti



I've never actually had Biscotti before, even though a lot of times when I go to cafes, I see them sitting beautifully in a clear glass jar. They look so inviting, but I don't know why I've never actually thought about buying them before. Anyway, when I came across this super easy recipe in Donna Hay. (Yes, it's her again. By now, you guys can probably tell that she's my favorite celebrity chef). This recipe was so simple and convincing that I decided to try it out. The result? I love it! I'm so addicted to Biscotti now, even though I don't even know if this is a good version of it. But it's good enough for me! If there are actually better recipes out there, I don't think I want to know about it as I'd probably finish the whole batch at one go!

Brown Sugar Almond Biscotti From Donna Hay's Off The Shelf

2 cups plain flour, sifted
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
3/4 cup blanched whole almonds
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius. Place the flour, baking powder, sugar and almonds in a bowl and mix to combine. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well until a soft dough forms-this will take a while, as the dough needs to be worked so that it stays together.

Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Divide the sough into 2 logs and flatten slightly. Place the logs on a greased baking tray and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.

Slice the logs into 5 mm thick slices and place on a lined baking tray. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the biscotti are crisp. Store in an airtight container and serve with espresso coffee for dunking or with ice-cream or a dessert. Makes 45

I think you are suppose to slice the log with a serrated knife, which I do not own, so I ended up breaking a few pieces of the biscotti. That wasn't a problem though, because they gave me a good excuse to pop them in my mouth (Ugly ones gets eaten :p ).

I personally really like the use of brown sugar as it gave the biscotti a beautiful golden color, and I assume it also add an extra touch to the taste as well.


5 comments:

Vida said...

Hi HH, I just found a recipe for a pumpkin biscotti and I will keep you posted on how it goes. I have always made chocolate hazelnut ones and I love chocolate pistachio as a combo, but you could do almost anything. Dried and glace fruite is lovely too. Vida x

Hungry Hamster said...

chocolate hazelnuts?!! I didn't hear that! That sounds so irresistible!

Vida said...

Just made the pumpkin ones and added dried apricots and blanched almonds, delicious, chewy yet crunchy, crisp and tasty, all good! Vida x x

The chocolate has cocoan in it but those great bean chocolate buttons would be superb!!

Bean Sprout's Cafe said...

Your biscotti looks so fantastic...congraturations for the first perfect biscotti ^ ^

Hungry Hamster said...

Beansprout's cafe: Thank you for dropping by :)