Monday, November 3, 2008

Buttery Macadamia Shortbread



This yummy Macadamia Shortbread is perfect with a Sunday afternoon tea/coffee! What makes them even better is that you can whip them up in a short time! The result is great too as these shortbread are rich and buttery with the extra cruch from the Macadamias! Thank you Khun Pook from Daily Delicious for this great recipe!



Macadamia Shortbread adapted from Dailydelicious
Dough:
50 g sugar
25g macadamia nuts, crushed
60g cold unsalted butter,
30g cold salted butter (I ran out of unsalted butter)
140g plain flour
1/4 tsp baking powder

Topping:
40 macadamia nuts, chopped
20g caster sugar ( I reduced the sugar to suit my taste)

Preheat the oven to 160 Celsius.
I did not have a food processor I had to do the process manually. In a large bowl, sift the plain flour and baking powder and add in the sugar. Cut the butter into the flour using two knifes until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add in the crushed macadamia nuts and mixed until even. Press the dough into an eight inch square pan. I did not have an 8 inch square mould on hand, so I replaced it with a 9 inch round pan, lined with aluminum foil.

Brush the top of the dough with sugar and sprinkle on the topping. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 min or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and cut into squares while the shortbread is still hot. Since I used a round pan, I cut my shortbread into wedges instead. The shortbread will firm and crisp up more as it cools down. Enjoy!


No comments: