Monday, April 21, 2008

Strawberry Mousse Cake



I think this cake is also known as Strawberry Mirror Cake. I've made these in an 8 inch cake tin before, this time I decided to make the cake into individual portion. I think this Mousse cake so versatile and presentable, which made them great as an after-dinner desserts. I made some in ramekins, and others in plastic coverings, both were equally delicious. I've also put two layers of cake in some and one in others, it depends on how much mousse to cake ratio you like. As I said, it's all really versatile and you can adjust it to your liking!



Strawberry Mousse Cake Recipe Adapted from Khun Jum

Cake base: Use your favorite sponge cake recipe. Bake in a swiss roll pan and cut out using a cookie cutter to fit your ramekins.

Strawberry Mousse:
250 g strawberries
100 g water
160 g caster sugar
4 tsp powdered gelatin
400 g cream

Wash and hull the strawberries and place in a sauce pan. Add the water, caster sugar, and gelatin and simmer until all the gelatin dissolves. Cool the mixture and blend the mixture in a blender or food processor until the mixture is pureed.
Beat the cream in a separate bowl until just thickened, not soft or stiff peaks! Be careful not to overbeat the cream which will result in a stiff mousse. Fod in the strawberry puree mixture and mix until well blended.
Place a layer of the cake at the bottom of the ramekin, and pour the mousse mixture on top. Chill for 2-3 hours. Add the strawberry jelly on top for decoration. I was lazy so I used the store bought jelly powder instead of making it from scratch. Chill for 4 more hrs or overnight and decorate with strawberry fans.


9 comments:

Vida said...

Great presentation HH, well done! Vida x

Hungry Hamster said...

Thanks Vida :)

Anonymous said...

Those look like a wonderful, light dessert, thanks!

Agnes said...

That looks absolutely gorgeous! The clear casings really show them off.

Hungry Hamster said...

Thank you JJ and Agnes :) Do try them out! They are one of my favorites!

Squishy said...

Oh they just look beautiful.

Cindy said...

I remember the Daring Bakers tackling this dessert a little while ago. Yours look so pretty. :-)

Hungry Hamster said...

Thanks Cindy :)

Ooh, I didn't know DB made these too, haha, maybe I should join the forum too!

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

beautiful!!!