Friday, September 21, 2007

Eggs Benedict at Benito's



After reading several blogs about eggs Benedict and looking at the beautiful pictures, I got a strong eggs-Benedict craving. I decided to try out Benito's which received high praise by a lot of food bloggers. Benito is located at 445 Little Collins street. The place is packed with men in their business suits, which made me stood out from the rest of the crowd. I proudly ordered Eggs Benedict and waited excitedly for it to arrive. When the eggs were delivered to my table, I was a bit disappointed as the Hollandaise sauce wasn't as 'overflowing' as the pictures I've seen. I decided to try my luck and taste the eggs anyway. The eggs were a bit overcooked for my liking, and the yolks weren't as runny as I'd like them to be. However, the hollandaise was done quite beautifully; I can taste the slight lemon taste without it being overpowering. The mixture of eggs with the ham and toasted English muffin goes together very well.



I have a confession to make. As this is actually the first time I've had Eggs Benedict, I can't really give too much comments, so I'll have to try more Eggs Benedict in the future to compare. Overall, it was quite a good experience, and it also gave me the inspiration to find the best eggs Benedict in Melbourne. One complaint for Benito's is that the price for their Eggs Benedict are actually on the high side!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My absolute favourite benedict is from Red Rhumba in Waverley Road almost on the corner of Burke Road, Malvern East... Orange in Chapel Street do a fabulous job too... I know hollandaise usually has lemon but Gordon Ramsay does a shallot and vinegar reduction to use in his sauce, more subtle then lemon and very yummy... Vida x x

Hungry Hamster said...

Thanks for the recommendation Vida! I'll make sure to try that in the future! The Gordon Ramsay version of the hollandaise sounds great! Thanks for dropping by!

claire said...

Hi hamster!
Benito's is pretty near my work, and I had a great gnocchi al ragu for lunch there last week. And during winter they had some AMAZING roasted parsnips as a side dish. That said, those eggs benedict don't look that great (the yolks should be runny, dammit!!), their food is overpriced and their menu had an italian mistake (zuppa del JORNO) which made this petty spelling nazi feel faint... :)

One of my favourite breakfast places in the city is the european - you should try it, I'm sure they do a brilliant benedict!

Hungry Hamster said...

Hey Mutemonkey! Thanks for dropping by! I was contemplating b/w Benito and The European that day. But since I was on my way to Spencer Street DFO, Benito's was on the way :)

I'll make sure to try out The European soon!